Job Description: Youth Programs Assistant Coordinator
Location: San Diego, CA
Schedule: 29 hrs/week; some evenings and weekends required
Reports to: Youth Programs Assistant Manager
Compensation: starting hourly rate of $15.50/hr
Classification: Part-time, Non-exempt
Benefits: Paid lunch, 40 hours sick pay annually, retirement, internet stipend, and professional development sponsorship
Founded in 1999, Outdoor Outreach (OO) is an energetic and innovative San Diego-based nonprofit organization that connects youth to the transformative power of the outdoors. We use outdoor recreation and education to promote youth leadership, health and wellness, civic engagement, and environmental conservation. The majority of our youth participants come from communities that do not have a strong connection to our region’s parks, beaches and open-space areas. Our vision is that youth everywhere will be inspired by the outdoors to play, learn, serve, and share.
The Youth Programs Assistant Coordinator (YPAC) is responsible for the coordination and delivery of virtual and adventure based youth programs including coordinating, attending, and co-leading programs as well as coordinating trip details and program data entry for an Adventure Club and/or other partnering schools or agencies.
- Coordinate, develop and design youth program details such as participant recruitment, program communications, logistics and administration
- Support and take lead on facilitating adventure based curriculum
- Build and steward relationships with participants, program partners, and other stakeholders
- Coach and supervise assigned Youth Programs Assistant for daily tasks
- Support field staff development and growth
- Support organizational initiatives (ie environmental education, advocacy, etc.)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be very active and often requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling and climbing during programs. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 50 pounds. This position also requires individuals to work in a variety of outdoor and virtual settings.
Reasonable accommodations and adaptations can be made for individuals with disabilities.
- Minimum of 18 years of age;
- 1+ years experience supporting outdoor based field programs or equivalent;
- Ability to become competent in the instruction of at least one of Outdoor Outreach’s core activities (Surfing, Kayaking, Rock Climbing, Mountain Biking, Hiking, Stand Up Paddle Boarding, Snorkeling, Environmental Stewardship, Snowboarding, Camping/Backpacking);
- Ability to obtain and maintain First Aid/CPR certifications, Wilderness First Responder (WFR) and/or other field related certifications within the first 90 days of employment;
- Ability to obtain and maintain a California Commercial Driver’s License with Passenger Endorsement within the first 90 days of employment preferred;
- Successful completion of pre-employment background check and drug screen. Criminal history record infractions will be considered on a case by case basis.
- Risk Management
- Flexible Mindset
- Culturally Sensitive