Job Description: Operations Manager
Location: San Diego, CA
Schedule:Full-time; evenings and weekends required
Reports to: Director of Operations
Compensation: starting salary at $58,240/year
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental/vision, retirement, generous paid time off (PTO) hours,
internet stipend and professional development stipend
Founded in 1999, Outdoor Outreach (OO) is an energetic and innovative San Diego-based nonprofit organization that connects youth to the transformative power of the outdoors. We use outdoor recreation and education to promote youth leadership, health and wellness, civic engagement, and environmental conservation. The majority of our youth participants come from communities that do not have a strong connection to our region’s parks, beaches and open-space areas. Our vision is that youth everywhere will be inspired by the outdoors to play, learn, serve, and share.
The Operations Manager is responsible for the management and delivery of the organization’s adventure and virtual based youth programs. This position manages operations team development, risk management practices, program development and delivery, and field operations.
- Manage recruitment, training and development of operations team
- Develop risk management philosophy including oversight and implementation of training design and delivery
- Collaborate with and inform program + executive leadership to advance program impact and grow capacity
- Oversee field operations including field trainings, scheduling, outing details, and mentor + volunteer program
- Build and steward relationships with land managers, program partners and other stakeholders
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be very active and often requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling and climbing during programs. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 50 pounds. This position also requires individuals to work in a variety of outdoor and virtual settings. Reasonable accommodations and adaptations can be made for individuals with disabilities.
- Minimum of 21 years of age;
- 2-3 years related work experience or equivalent combination;
- Competent with computer skills – G Suite, MS Office;
- Ability to become competent in the instruction of most of Outdoor Outreach’s core activities (Surfing, Kayaking, Rock Climbing, Mountain Biking, Hiking, Stand Up Paddle Boarding, Snorkeling, Environmental Stewardship, Snowboarding, Camping/Backpacking);
- Ability to obtain and maintain First Aid/CPR certifications, Wilderness First Responder (WFR) and/or other field related certifications within the first 90 days of employment;
- Ability to obtain and maintain a California Commercial Driver’s License with Passenger Endorsement within the first 90 days of employment preferred;
- Successful completion of pre-employment background check, drug screen, and TB test. Criminal history record infractions will be considered on a case by case basis.
Outdoor Leadership Experience
Performance Management Experience
Constructive Coaching Skills
Risk Management Focus
This Job Summary is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed.