Job Description: Senior Field Instructor
Location: San Diego, CA
Schedule: Schedule varies; some evenings and weekends
Reports to: Operations Assistant Manager
Compensation: $13.00-$17.25 hourly rate; occasional overtime
Classification: Part-time, Non-exempt
Benefits: paid lunch, 40 hours sick pay annually, retirement, and professional development sponsorship
Founded in 1999, Outdoor Outreach (OO) is an energetic and innovative San Diego-based nonprofit organization that connects youth to the transformative power of the outdoors. We use outdoor recreation and education to promote youth leadership, health and wellness, civic engagement, and environmental conservation. The majority of our youth participants come from communities that do not have a strong connection to our region’s parks, beaches and open-space areas. Our vision is that youth everywhere will be inspired by the outdoors to play, learn, serve, and share.
The Senior Field Instructor is responsible for coordinating and facilitating positive outdoor experiences in a variety of dynamic environments for youth participants. As the program lead, the Senior Field Instructor is responsible for communicating program tasks with a field staff team of 3-4 people, group management, and mitigating safety risks.
- Lead and facilitate adventure-based youth programs across activities including but not limited to the following:
Surfing, Sea Kayaking, Rock Climbing, Mountain Biking, Hiking, Stand Up Paddleboarding, Snorkeling, Environmental Stewardship, Snowboarding, Camping/Backpacking
- Build and steward relationships with participants, program partners, as well as other stakeholders
- Organize and implement successful delivery of outdoor programs
- Collaborate and co-lead with adult instructors, volunteers and partner staff
- Support trip logistics and preparation as needed
- Coordinate trip paperwork process including trip reports, youth medical forms and liability waivers
Work Environment/Physical Demands
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be very active and often requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling and climbing during programs. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 50 pounds. This position also requires individuals to work in a variety of outdoor settings.
- Minimum of 21 years of age;
- High school diploma or equivalent;
- 1-2 years related work experience or equivalent combination with at least 1 year in a Senior Leadership Role as an Outdoor Guide/Educator;
- Ability to obtain advanced certifications (including, but not limited to WFR, SPI, CA, Lifeguard, LNT Trainer, etc.) within first 90 days of employment;
- Ability to master the instruction of Outdoor Outreach’s core activities (Surfing, Sea Kayaking, Rock Climbing, Mountain Biking, Hiking, Stand Up Paddleboarding, Snorkeling, Environmental Stewardship, Snowboarding, Camping/Backpacking);
- Clean driving record and ability to obtain and maintain a California Class B Commercial Driver’s License with Passenger Endorsement within first 90 days of employment;
- Successful completion of pre-employment background check and drug screen.
Critical Success Factors
- Risk Management
- Activity Facilitation
- Group Management
- Inclusion and Cultural Awareness
- Teamwork Orientation
This Job Summary is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not meant to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required by this job classification.
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Inquiries will be accepted until position is filled.