Getting Outside Responsibly During COVID-19
Outdoor Outreach’s 10 Principles of Responsible Outdoor Recreation:
- DOUBLE-CHECK YOURSELF. If you have any current symptoms, don’t go into public spaces unless you have to.
- KNOW THE RULES. Check local public health guidelines to ensure that the area you are going to is open to the public and appropriate for the activity you want to do.
- LIMIT YOUR IMPACT. Choose less frequented parks and trails. Bring everything you need with you and pack out all your trash.
- EXPECT CLOSURES. Prepare for restroom and parking lot closures and a lack of running water. Not all trails and beaches will be open for activities.
- STAY LOCAL. Don’t travel far from home. This is the time to appreciate nearby nature.
- STICK WITH YOUR HOUSEHOLD. If you don’t live together, don’t go outside together.
- PRACTICE PHYSICAL DISTANCING. Avoid crowded areas. Stay 6-feet away from anyone that you don’t live with and wear a face covering.
- KNOW YOUR LIMITS. Stick to activities that limit your chances of injury and need for healthcare services.
- BE KIND. A smile and wave can mean a lot. Help others enjoy the outdoors responsibly by sharing the 10 Principles of Responsible Outdoor Recreation.
- ENJOY YOUR ‘HERE AND NOW’ MOMENT. Breathe deeply and connect to the sounds, smells, colors, and movement of nature. Encourage your friends and family to find their moment.
Information and Restrictions for Parks and Beaches in San Diego County
Below you’ll find a list of local and national resources. Please limit your activities to “nearby nature” within your local community where you can practice getting outside responsibly.
City of San Diego
- Regional and Open Space Parks (Mission Trails, Penasquitos Canyon, Otay Valley Regional Park, etc)
Port of San Diego (Parks in and around San Diego Bay)
County of San Diego Parks and Recreation
- List of State Parks Closures
U.S Fish and Wildlife Service Refuges
For more information and to stay updated on responsible outdoor recreation during the COVID-19 outbreak, follow us on social media:
You can also tune into our Outdoor Outreach Community Connect Live Streams every Monday on Facebook, and check out our Virtual Outings on Youtube every Wednesday!