Theory of change
Outdoor Outreach utilizes outdoor physical experiences to provide youth with the support, relationships, resources and opportunities they need to become successful adults.
Two primary drivers facilitate positive transformation in the youth we serve: the Experience and the Relationships.
Youth experience amazing natural environments, are challenged in a safe way, and learn to value and protect the places where they play.
Through the experiences, they garner a sense of achievement, which increases their confidence, self-esteem and resilience, and enables them to see new possibilities for their lives. Leadership training enables youth to gain job skills and employment, and contribute to their communities as advocates for the outdoors.
The youth form ongoing supportive relationships through their outdoor experiences.
When the staff and volunteers model possibility and positivity, and consistently show up to support the youth, it inspires participants to see new opportunities and set and achieve high goals.
Youth are introduced to program
- Exposing them to a safe, joyful and natural environment
- Engaging in a physically, emotionally and mentally challenging outdoor activities
- Developing positive relationships with supportive peers & mentors
Positive attitude change
- Cultivating open mindedness
- Improving self-image
- Understanding that there are choices
- Seeing the world from a different view
- Developing hope, respect, confidence, & responsibility
Positive behavioral change
- Becoming more open to help/outside assistance
- Asking for help when needed/helping others
- Trusting others
- Setting goals
Responsible and healthy adults
- Becoming a responsible citizen
- Improving academic achievement
- Engaging in post-secondary education
- Obtaining a job
- Environmental stewardship
- ›Show improved interpersonal relationships
- ›Increase their ability to set and achieve goals
- ›Increase their ability to work with others